Nurturing Parenting provides in-home parent education, counseling and case management services designed to build nurturing skills as alternatives to negative parenting attitudes and practices.
Trained Facilitators use evidence-based assessment tools and curriculum materials to identify “high risk” parenting practices and beliefs that could potentially put a child at risk. Facilitators customize the curriculum to build on parents’ strengths and address weaknesses in order to reduce or eliminate the need for future intervention.
All of our services are free of charge.
Nurturing Parenting is an evidence based program recognized by the National Registry of Evidenced-based Programs and Practices, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency, Center for Substance Abuse Prevention and Child Welfare League of America.
About Nurturing Parenting
- Designed for the treatment and prevention of child abuse and neglect
- Family based interventions where parents and their children learn similar skills for improving the quality of their lives
- The course of the family’s successes are recorded and charted with built-in assessment strategies
- A combination of lesson guides, DVDs, parent handbooks and assessment inventories are used based on each individual family’s needs
Nurturing Skills Taught
- Communication between parents and children
- Making good decisions
- Growth and development of children in all ages and stages
- Handling feelings
- Taking charge of behavior
- Developing empathy
- Ways to handle stress and anger
- Understanding discipline and techniques
- Establishing daily routines
- Appropriate use of rewards/punishments
- Prenatal parenting
Benefits for Parents
- Manage anger and stress
- Communicate one-on-one with a parent educator and discuss your personal feelings and emotions
- Become aware of not only your child’s needs, but also your own individual needs
- Improve self-worth
- Gain problem solving, decision making, compromising and negotiating skills
- Acquire appropriate discipline skills
Benefits for Children
- Learn suitable ways to express feelings
- Understand the importance of respect and family morals and values
- Develop positive self-worth
- Gain knowledge about the importance of and reasoning behind rules
Participation & Eligibility
Nurturing Parenting is intended for parents of children ages 0 through 12, parents of adolescents or parents with addiction issues. All of our services are free of charge. To participate, you must reside in Bucks County.
For your convenience, we provide our services in your home.
This program is funded by Pennsylvania Children’s Trust Fund and Bucks County Children and Youth Social Services Agency.