Join our volunteer workforce and help us make a difference in our community. We will work with you to find the best match between your interests and our needs. Orientation and training are provided. Please note that there may be a wait list for some volunteer positions.
CONTACT Helpline Listener
Respond to calls from local residents who are struggling with a range of challenges including relationship and mental health issues, financial instability, thoughts or plans for suicide, or simply the need for someone to listen. Training, continuing education and supervision are provided. Shifts are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Training: 40 hours classroom and on-the-job, offered two to three times a year.
Commitment: 12 hours per month
Location: Call center in Richboro, Langhorne or remote (specific standards required)
Drivers for Food Pick-Up to Stock Food Pantry
Make food pick-ups on a weekly basis and transport it to our Langhorne Food Pantry and/or the Homeless Shelter Food Pantry in Levittown. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, as volunteers will need to both load and unload bulk food items. A truck or SUV is needed, valid driver’s license is required. Volunteer weekly or every other week.
Commitment: One shift weekly or every other week, time is approximately 2-3 hours, but varies due to drive time
Pick Up Times/Locations:
- Mondays at 9:00 AM: County Coolers in Doylestown (1265 Almshouse Rd., Doylestown, PA)
- Thursdays 10:30 AM: Bristol Help Center (194 Commerce Circle, Bristol, PA 19007)
- Thursday 11: 30 AM* (Please arrive by 11:15 AM): New Britain Baptist Church (22 East Butler Avenue, New Britain, PA 18901)
*This pick up is not always weekly.
Assist with occasional projects including grounds clean up and painting.
Commitment: Seasonal; depends on need
Location: Varies; most take place at Bucks Villa in New Hope, PA; at the Family Service office in Langhorne, PA; or at the Bucks County Emergency Homeless Shelter in Levittown, PA
Food Pantry Volunteers
Assist in stocking and maintaining Food Pantry supplies in our Langhorne Food Pantry and in the food pantry at the Bucks County Emergency Homeless Shelter. Duties may include unloading and loading food; sorting and putting items away in appropriate areas; ensuring the storage area is tidy and free of obstacles; and bagging food items according to pantry procedures for clients to pick up. Volunteers need to be able to stand and walk distances, lift 20 pounds, and bend and reach. The need is great right now, and we could really use your help! Shifts are flexible: Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 4 PM in Langhorne office, 9 AM – 3 PM daily at Bucks County Emergency Homeless Shelter.
Commitment: One 2 to 3-hour shift weekly
Location: Family Service office in Langhorne, PA or Bucks County Emergency Homeless Shelter in Levittown, PA
At the Bucks County Emergency Homeless Shelter, volunteers help prepare meals each day for the adults and children who call the shelter their temporary home, and package meals for our clients currently residing at a remote location to allow for social distancing during the current pandemic. We ask volunteers to commit to one shift every week or every other week, depending on your availability.
One or more weekly or monthly shifts:
- Lunch Prep & Serving: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Dinner Meal Prep & Packaging: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM (current area of greatest need)
- Serving Dinner & After-meal cleanup: 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Length of shift is approximate and depends upon time necessary for after-meal cleanup.
Training: Online food safety training and orientation, Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse
Commitment: One 2-hour shift weekly for at least 6 months
Location: Bucks County Emergency Homeless Shelter in Levittown, PA
Limited opportunities to assist with a variety of administrative needs including phone calls, internet research, records management, photocopying or filing. Flexible schedules.
Training: Orientation and on-the-job
Commitment: One or more 3-hour shift(s) weekly (Monday through Friday) for at least 6 months
Location: Bucks County Emergency Homeless Shelter in Levittown, PA or Family Service office in Langhorne, PA
Assist with our Back to School Drive, Holiday Gift Shop or short term projects.
Commitment: Seasonal; depends on event
Create Your Own Volunteer Opportunity
Work with our Volunteer Coordinator to design your own volunteer opportunity based on your skills, interests and availability.
How to Volunteer
- Complete our Volunteer Application. If you are interested in volunteering with the CONTACT Helpline, please use the CONTACT Helpline Volunteer Application instead of the general application.
- We will contact you by email to schedule a convenient time to meet with you to discuss volunteer opportunities.
- Complete Volunteer Orientation.
- Register for training (CONTACT Helpline Listeners only).
- For all volunteer positions, you must provide a copy of a Pennsylvania Access to Criminal History and a copy of a Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance dated within the last twelve months. For some positions, a certificate of completion for training in Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse is also required.